Computer readable version of SPI ledgers (per project)?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 22 16:36:50 UTC 2019

Thank you Martin,

The long term ideas sound good - but only worthwhile if multiple SPI projects
would use them.

The potential privacy considerations are certainly a factor needing
particular care.

Before the OBF joined SPI, we used to prepare our own annual financial report,
and I am looking to automate something similar using our SPI ledgers. This may
need some additional data to match up specific income with conference sponsors,
or specific expenses with say GSoC travel, or our fellowship program. How
ambitious this gets will depend largely on how easy it is to automate the data
collection from SPI.

Right now, the anonymised data on the website should suffice for a first pass.
I have done a proof of principle web-scrapper in Python using Beautiful Soup 4
to pull out the plain text ledgers. The https://www.ledger-cli.org/
documentation
will undoubtable help with parsing that - but it sounds like
requesting the CSV or
ledger files directly might be more straightforward - especially if it
saves me time
on cross referencing transaction details.

Examples of things I would like to be able to do easily is report year by year
conference sponsorship income; or year by year server/hosting/domain fees.

Thank you,

Peter