Privacy policy for Tux Paint; ideas?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sun Dec 6 08:51:03 UTC 2020

On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 09:23:40AM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Hi all, I'm Bill, lead developer (in snooze mode ATM),
> website maintainer, and main 'support' contact for Tux Paint,
> the open source drawing program for young kids
> (http://www.tuxpaint.org/)
>
> In the past month or two, I've had at least two teachers,
> and one person from an "internet safety" company, ask about
> Tux Paint in regards to privacy, user-identifiable information,
> etc.  (I don't think in the previous 12 years I had ever been
> asked; I guess some laws changed in the US this year?)

Nearly 4 years to the day, I've finally drafted something.
I'd appreciate any feedback.  IANAL, and I realize most (all)
out here won't be either, but if you see anything glaringly wrong
with it, let me know.

I started by trying to use a free "privacy policy generator",
and it was basically useless for my purposes here. :-D

My goal ended up being both discussion of privacy to users visiting
the website, and interacting with the project as a whole (via email,
mailing lists, etc.), as well as to briefly mention the fact that
the Tux Paint software _itself_ doesn't actually transmit anything,
let alone personal information.  (I'm going to double-check with the
folks working on the Android version to confirm the accuracy of my
statement regarding its download capabilities.)

  http://tuxpaint.org/privacy/

Thanks in advance!

-bill!