Proposed resolution: Waive SPI 5% administrative fee for 2020 associated project conferences

Luca Filipozzi lfilipoz at spi-inc.org
Sat Jun 13 17:09:52 UTC 2020

Hi,

Per other branch on this thread, Stephen outlined that the Board is
working with the Debian Representative on clarifying the status of
DebConf sponsorships, etc.

Since I'm in favour of 'fairness' and 'consistency', I agree with Peter
that some questions need answering:

(1) Historically, were all projects charged 5% for donations (yes, is my
understanding) and sponsorships (no, Debian wasn't, at least)?

(2) Once the reality or perception* of miscommunication between SPI and Debain is
clarified (who knew or should have known what when; yes, I think this is
needed), should we:

  (a) refund Debian for the 2016-2019 sponsorship fees?

  (b) refund Debian and refund other projects have their sponsorship
  fees refunded (how far back)?

  (c) not refund Debian for 2016-2019 sponsorsip fees?

  (d) not refund Debian for 2016-2019 and apply the 5% on Debian sponsorships prior to 2016?

  The point being, how much historical consistency should we strive for.

(3) Going forward, should we:

  (a) not charge a fee on sponsorships for a year while data is
  collected (2020 might not be a good year, given conference
  cancellations)? Again, across all projects' sponsorhips, not just
  Debian.

  OR

  (b) should we apply the 5% on all projects' sponsorships?

This has to be tempered with practical realities: do we have the data
necessary to make it clear which funds were donations vs sponsorships;
is it worth the relationship friction with Debian or the other projects;
etc.?

At the moment, I'm at 2a & 3b so I'd prefer seeing the resolution draft
altered to match. If more information is produced indicating recorded
written communication between SPI and Debian in 2016/2017 regarding the
fee change, then I'd go with 2c (or a partial refund up to the date of
that written communication).

Finally, I don't think the amount of potential refund is material. By
this I mean: let's try to do the right thing**, regardless of the
amount.

Happy to hear your thoughts on my position,

Luca

* as more people recall their conversations, the picture changes; that
  said, I'm waiting to see a written communication from around 2016

** up to the point that it makes SPI insolvent, which this won't

Luca Filipozzi