SPI member projects adopting a Code of Conduct

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Thu Oct 15 15:49:59 UTC 2020

Greetings,

* Peter Cock (p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com) wrote:
> The OBF is an SPI member project, and is currently in the process of
> adopting a Code of Conduct (CoC) to cover both our online activities
> (including software development) and in person events (like our annual
> conference, assuming that resumes as a physical event).

Great!

> If legal assistance were required (e.g. in handling a specific CoC
> incident), I presume as per https://www.spi-inc.org/projects/services/
> the OBF would at the SPI board's discretion have access to the SPI's
> legal counsel? Is that correct?

Yes.  There's a few options for getting legal review which we would be
happy to discuss with you and OBF.  Ultimately, it would be up to the
board or an officer to approve but I doubt that would be an issue.

> If any other SPI projects have themselves adopted a CoC, do you have
> any advice to share? Our concerns include scope and procedures, and
> providing training for those handling reports.

PostgreSQL adopted a CoC and that seems to have gone reasonably well,
and includes details regarding the CoC committee itself and the way its
membership is managed, as seen here:

https://www.postgresql.org/about/policies/coc/

Both of the PostgreSQL project's recognized non-profit organizations
(PgUS and PgEU) also have CoCs.

SPI itself has also looked at how to put together a CoC.  If there are
folks interested in discussing that, feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

Stephen