periodic donations to SPI

vdhoeven at texmacs.org vdhoeven at texmacs.org
Thu Jan 7 22:16:52 UTC 2021

Hi Martin,

On Thu, Jan 07, 2021 at 10:59:17AM +0800, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * vdhoeven at texmacs.org <vdhoeven at texmacs.org> [2021-01-06 23:11]:
> > Did anyone else report such problems?  Can it be fixed?
>
> Unfortunately there have been problems with recurring payments on
> PayPal for the last weeks.  I've been in contact with PayPal support
> but alas their support isn't very good.
>
> One donor tried to cancel and re-create the recurring payment and we
> should find out today or tomorrow if that workaround works. (I still
> hope for PayPal to find a proper resolution, though.)
>
> I don't think it's related to 3D Secure, although that's an
> interesting theory.

Thanks for looking into this problem.
Here follows some further info from our donator:

---
Thank you for forwarding the email. I have suffered from the issue for at least several months, not just
+weeks. The last payment was in October. I saw the failure of payment in November and I thought that it
+was due to a technical issue which should be resolved but it continued to fail in December. I tried to
+"confirm" my bank card on PayPal, and then tried to "cancel and re-create a recurring payment" around
+Christmas, afterwards I received a message of failing in January. I thought that it is PayPal that failed
+to get money from my bank card, but this message indicates that there are other possibilities.
---

Best wishes, --Joris