Re: Resolution 2021-06-22.mcs.4: Adélie Linux as an Associated Project

Philippe Cloutier chealer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 23:19:28 UTC 2021

Greetings Michael,

Le 2021-06-21 à 18:43, Michael Schultheiss a écrit :
> The following resolution is proposed for the 2021-06-22 SPI board
> meeting:
>
> Resolution 2021-06-22.mcs.4:
> Adélie Linux as an Associated Project
>
> WHEREAS
>
> 1. Adélie Linux is a substantial and significant Free Software project.
> Adélie Linux aims to deliver a rock-solid Linux desktop experience to
> users who do not have access to hardware which is both low-cost and
> secure.

I must confess I never heard about Adélie Linux, and am curious about
how it distinguishes itself from other associated projects, but this
doesn't help me much. Perhaps it would help to phrase this in a more
concrete/technical way, which avoids referring to users. For example:

> Adélie Linux aims to deliver an operating system based on Linux which
> would run on hardware which is either costly, insecure, or both.
That being said, I suppose it would be best to put some more effort to
reach something sufficiently representative, since according to
https://www.adelielinux.org/servers/# :

> Adélie is for Servers
Failing that, it may be safer to simply refrain from describing.

> They currently support open architectures (POWER) and are
> working on RISC-V and, soon, SPARC.
>
> 2. The Adélie Linux developers would like SPI's support and assistance,
> including accepting donations and holding funds. They are also
> interested in SPI holding trademarks on behalf of Adélie Linux.
>
> THE SPI BOARD RESOLVES THAT
>
> 3. Adélie Linux is formally invited to become an SPI Associated Project,
> according to the SPI Framework for Associated Projects, SPI Resolution
> 1998-11-16.iwj.1-amended-2004-08-10.iwj.1, a copy of which can be found
> at https://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/resolutions/2004/2004-08-10.iwj.1/
>
> 4. Zach van Rijn is recognised by SPI as the authoritative decision
> maker and SPI liaison for Adélie Linux.  Successors will be appointed by
> a blind vote of the Adélie Linux core team. Should there be a lack of
> agreement on a successor due to a tie, the current liaison will cast a
> vote to break the tie. Should the current liaison be unreachable to
> break the tie, the SPI board or a representative will break the tie in
> any manner they choose.
>
> 5. If the last known SPI liaison for Adélie Linux is missing in action,
> and no new SPI liaison is appointed for two consecutive years the
> associated project is deemed defunct.
>
> 6. In such a circumstance, the SPI Board will, in its good-faith
> discretion, proceed as follows: the Board will identify one or more
> other SPI associated projects or 501(c)(3) charities which can accept
> the project's assets and use them for a similar purpose, and transfer
> the assets to the identified destination or destinations as feasible.
> Assets for which no such transfer can be arranged within a reasonable
> time will become part of the SPI general fund.
>
> 7. This invitation will lapse, if not accepted, 60 days after it is
> approved by the SPI Board.

This mail's original content (non-quoted parts) is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 4.0.

Philippe Cloutier
http://www.philippecloutier.com