[Spi-private] Website re-implementation

Ean Schuessler ean at brainfood.com
Sat Apr 8 01:57:30 UTC 2006

On Saturday 01 April 2006 12:04 pm, Neil McGovern wrote:
> As mentioned after the end of the last board I'm interested in helping
> with the website re-implementaion. This is probably not the best place
> for general discussion, so, anyone who's interested, please subscribe to
> spi-www at lists.spi-inc.org[0] and we can start talking on there :)

I would still be willing to help with a website overhaul. We've been building
some infrastucture here at Brainfood (which will be released as Free
Software) that greatly assists in building professional looking websites with
a Wiki-level ease in editing. The system sits on top of OFBiz which provides
fairly sophisticated business modeling capabilities.

Here are some sites built on top of the system:

http://checkmark.heart.org
http://www.parago.com
http://www.classifiedsforless.com
http://hello2.cellularone.com
http://www.brainfood.com
etc.

We have recently used the system to do the Sun Tech Days sites for 15 cities
in Brasil. These sites are available at http://techdays.soujava.org.br and
utilize the Copy On Write features of the wiki to do rapid provisioning. This
technique provides the ability to create a template site that other sites
"inherit" from and still provide the ability for each sub-site to be
selectively edited. Basically like UnionFS with a Wiki interface.

OFBiz provides sophisticated inventory management and some nascent accounting
capabilities (that would almost certainly be sufficient for SPI) that might
allow the automation of some treasurer reporting capabilities. All the art on
those sites listed above is done by my Brother and myself so we can add some
value there as well.

Here's the rub... I can be a little bit of a pain to deal with and the system
is written in JAVA! (However... Dalibor Topic, Tom Tromey, Mark Weilaard and
some other very serious Free Java guys are helping track down what it will
take to get OFBiz running on an all Free Java stack).

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
ean at brainfood.com
214-720-0700 x 315