Next step -- Deciding on output

Jimmy Kaplowitz jimmy at debian.org
Wed Feb 5 22:30:36 UTC 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 04:29:15PM -0600, Taral wrote:
> I strongly disagree. Comittees usually produce a resolution, fully
> formed, on which the parent body can vote. Since the parent body is
> always allowed to table or amend the resolution, this does not limit it
> in any way. Providing a fully formed resolution also reduces the chance
> of any miscommunication, as well as making less work for members outside
> the committee.
>
> I can look up the full rationale in RRONR, if you like.

We also have never adopted Robert's Rules of Order (I assume RRONR is
some version/edition of that) or any other formal parliamentary rule
scheme. Therefore we are not bound by them. In fact, I'd imagine the
rules that John put forth in the self-organization document are rather
different from RRONR. If you think we should adopt RRONR, I'm open to
hearing your reasons. I don't see any such reasons, but I'm not going to
claim it's a bad idea without knowing more.

As for providing a pre-formed resolution, the idea makes sense now that I
understand it, because it would make it less likely that the board would
"censor" our recommendations before proposing them to the membership.
(That is, we'll give them something whole and ready, so they will have
to tinker with a finished product to change it. Which is their right,
but looks worse politically.)

I think, then, that we should provide both an report with the outline
that I gave in my last mail (I'll dig up the URL if you ask), and a
resolution in the form that you suggest. These two documents will be
largely redundant, except that the report will explain and elaborate
upon the resolution, which should be clear and legally precise.

(Again, just discussing ideas here, and not yet deciding on anything
final. Though, if you like the idea above, I also like it enough to go
with it as a final solution.)

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy at debian.org