#06: Public resolutions

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Tue Apr 1 20:28:10 UTC 2003

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 02:58:16PM -0500, David Graham wrote:
> Apend to Article 5 (bottom) (or create its own article)
>
> "Board Resolutions
>
> "A Board Resolution is any document or statement approved by a majority of
> attending Board members at any single meeting which states a purpose and
> is relevant to the organisation's functionning or operation. All votes

I'm not sure whether we should be defining a resolution or not, but if so,
that looks reasonable.

> for, against, and all absentions related to any Board Resolution shall be
> kept with the Board Resolution at all times subsequent to its vote. No
> Board member may change their vote on a Board Resolution without
> resubmitting the Board Resolution to the board for a new vote.

I think this should be "No Board member may change their vote on a Board
Resolution.  Resolutions may be revoked by subsequent resolutions."

That is, a legalistic reading could intrepret mere submission as an act of
opening the window to change a vote, which I don't think is the intent.

> "Any Board Resolution passed by the Board of Directors of this
> organisation may, with the absolute unanimous consent of all Board
> members, be kept confidential from the membership and the public. If any
> Board member decides at a future date that the resolution should no longer
> be confidential, unanimous consent will be considered to no longer exist
> and the Board Resolution will henceforth be available to the membership.
>
> "No Board Resolution may be considered enacted or enforceable until it is
> available to the entire organisation's membership, unless said Board
> Resolution has been declared confidential per Paragraph
> (article.paragraph)."

You can just say "declared confidential under the provisions of this
Article."

> "Committees may also discuss and vote on resolutions. The rules for
> Committee resolutions shall be set forth in Committee Charters."

We currently have provisions for the membership to override the board.  You
may wish to mention that here, but I think that this paragraph could be
omitted.  Or, you might state more generally that the board has the ability
to delegate.