Pristine source archive

Dale E Martin dmartin at cliftonlabs.com
Mon Apr 15 16:46:25 UTC 2002

> > The GPL says that the source code has to be available.  It doesn't say
> > anything about who or where from.
>
> Have you read the GPL?  This is _not_ what it says.

Let me apologize for my oversimplification.

Within the context of the original question, my point was simply that the
GPL doesn't say "you have to keep the source on your own site".  You _are_
responsible for making sure people can get the source; since simplifying
that very process is one of the key features of the proposal, I glossed
over that.

I do maintain that it as a distributor of binaries, technically I don't
have to be the one physically storing source.  I can distribute (from
pristine source) binaries and if someone wants source, I can say "I got
them from http://www.giantsourcearchive.org, go get them there."  If the
binaries aren't from pristine source, I _do_ have to provide access to the
patches as well - which I did point out.  This argument assumes you
consider the Internet "a medium customarily used for software
interchange.")

Perhaps your point is that if those sources disappear then I would be in
violation of the GPL - I agree.  Hence my point that losing control of the
source archive would be a problem for most distros.

IANAL, and don't even pretend to be one on email lists.  Disregard
everything I say freely ;-)

Take care,
	Dale
--