Worst Case Scenarios - SPI and Lawsuits

Rourk, Chris crourk at AKINGUMP.COM
Fri Jan 11 14:08:40 UTC 2002

I'm not sure what brought up the talk of bankruptcy, but in bankruptcy, the bankruptcy trustee would sell the assets of the bankrupt organization to pay off the debtors of the organization.  Does SPI have any debtors?  If SPI is sued and goes bankrupt in paying off the judgement, perhaps a debtor could exist, but otherwise, I can't see where a debtor could come from.

As far as I know, SPI has no patents.

Copyrights don't really exist for code that has been released as open source, although that is more from the decision of the owner of the copyright not to enforce it than from a legal status.  However, if code is released as open source, then it would probably be very difficult for the owner to go back and "reclaim" the right to enforce the copyright.  I can do some research on this, but I think it is unlikely that this would happen because of the difficulty of identifying who owns the
copyright if many people have contributed to the code.

Trademarks are a different story, but they must be transferred with the "goodwill" in order for the transfer or acquisition to be effective.  It seems like the goodwill associated with the trademarks of a non-profit would be difficult to transfer to a for-profit entity, but again, I think there is a better strategy - declare that all trademarks used by SPI lack distinctiveness, and treat them that way.  If a mark is descriptive (e.g. "GREAT BURGERS" for hamburgers) or generic (e.g. "HAMBURGERS"
for hamburgers), then NOBODY can get rights in the mark (although in the case of a descriptive mark, 5 years of exclusive use can provide the mark with distinctiveness, which equates to a legally enforceable trademark).  A mark like DEBIAN can be generic, though - ASPIRIN used to be a mark owned by Bayer for acetylsalicylic acid, but they let it become the generic term for that compound.  Now, nobody has trademark rights to ASPIRIN.

Domains, of course, can be owned.  The simple fix for this is to create a non-profit transfer SPI's domains to them, and then license the use of SPI's domain names back to SPI.

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. This message may be an attorney-client communication and/or work product and as such is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.