Worst Case Scenarios - SPI and Lawsuits

Brian Ristuccia brian at ristuccia.com
Fri Jan 11 15:17:20 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 08:08:40AM -0600, Rourk, Chris wrote:

> Domains, of course, can be owned.  The simple fix for this is to create a
> non-profit transfer SPI's domains to them, and then license the use of
> SPI's domain names back to SPI.

Ok. But what if that non-profit gets sued (say as a result of some large
corporation's dislike of certain multimedia software on http.us.debian.org
or a dangerous cult group with a vendetta and a friendly judge) and a
judgement gets entered for some huge amount of money. Since the domains are
the non-profit's only asset, wouldn't they get sold at a bankrupcy auction?
We haven't solved the problem, but rather just moved it...

Is it possible to make the domain registrant be some group of individuals
and corporations such that it wouldn't seem fair to penalize all of them
just because one went bankrupt?

--
Brian Ristuccia
brian at ristuccia.com