SPI monthly meetings and our by-laws.

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Fri Jul 14 16:26:41 UTC 2006

meetings, I looked at the by-laws for meetings. As far as I can tell,
the monthly meetings contravene them, in that the meetings are supposed
to be quarterly and the rules for special meetings are not being
followed. We have a resolution to hold them monthly, 2002-05-07.wta, but
it only deals with the date and is not a resolution to alter the by-laws.

This is not to excuse missing called meetings. It's to point out that we
might not be following our own rules. Maybe we should change them.

    Thanks

    Bruce

    ARTICLE FOUR - MEETING

The annual board meeting of this organization shall be electronically
held on the first day of July, each and every year except if such day be
a legal holiday then and in that event the Board of Directors shall fix
the day but it shall not be more than two weeks from the date fixed by
these by-laws. The Secretary shall cause to be mailed (electronically or
otherwise) to every board member in good standing at his or her address
as it appears in the membership roll book of this organization a notice
telling the time and place of such annual meeting.

Regular meetings of the board of this organization shall be held quarterly.

The presence of not less than two-thirds of the board members shall
constitute a quorum and shall be necessary to conduct the business of
this organization, but a lesser number may adjourn the meeting for a
period of not more than two weeks from the date scheduled by these
by-laws and the Secretary shall cause a notice of this scheduled meeting
to be sent to all those members who were not present at the meeting
originally called. A quorum as hereinbefore set forth shall be required
at any adjourned meeting.

Special meetings of the board of this organization may be called by the
President when he deems it in the best interest of the organization or
by two members of the board. Notices of such meeting shall be mailed to
all members at their addresses as they appear in the membership roll
book at least two weeks but not more than 30 days before the scheduled
date set for such special meeting. Such notice shall state the reasons
that such meeting has been called and the business to be conducted.

At the request of one-third members of the organization the President
shall cause a special meeting to be called but such request must be made
in writing at least thirty (30) days before the requested scheduled
date. No other business but that specified in the notice may be
transacted at such special meeting without the unanimous consent of all
present at such meeting.