[Spi-private] goals and methods, was: Bruce's Platform

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Jul 14 20:17:58 UTC 2006

Matthew Garrett <mjg59-spi at srcf.ucam.org>
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 08:25:46PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Indeed, let's!  Goals/Purposes are what SPI is trying to achieve,
> > but methods/powers are how it may do it. [...]
>
> I'm not saying that it's unlawful or impossible for SPI to carry out
> these acts. I'm saying that it's not part of its currently stated goals,
> and that those are the goals that most of the membership (presumably)
> currently agree with. It's not at all obvious that changing those goals
> would meet with the agreement of the membership, either people or
> projects.

The goals don't need to change.

Arguing something shouldn't be done because it's not a stated
goal is rather like arguing I shouldn't get on a train
because my goal is being in Somerset, not travelling to it.
I think it's unhelpful and obscures your real disagreement.

It may well be that we disagree on SPI's travel method, but
that's what the directors are empowered to choose, for better
or worse (trademarks!).  If you want to change their powers so
all associated projects or all contributing members must agree
on each use of power, propose that instead.

Not-for-profits do lots of things which aren't stated goals,
such as holding board meetings, but they don't need to be goals.
They're not why SPI's here.  The goals are where you're going,
not how you get there.  I don't think anyone is advocating
making SPI into a for-hire lobbying firm, so lobbying is a
method, not a goal in itself.

Hope that explains,
--
MJR/slef