[Spi-private] Re: Please moderate the SPI mailing lists

Ean Schuessler ean at brainfood.com
Wed Jun 7 19:33:06 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 06 June 2006 03:22, Josip Rodin wrote:
> Let's revive this old thread... but notice Reply-To:.
>
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:17:09AM -0600, Ean Schuessler wrote:
> > On Wednesday 19 January 2005 9:02 am, Robert Brockway wrote:
> > > I don't see a problem with rejecting non-subscribed addresses outright.
> >
> > You shouldn't have to be a subscriber in order to make a suggestion to
> > the list.
>
> Both of these valid ideas can be integrated, for example with the holding
> mechanism that Mailman has. However, before that, it would be useful if
> someone counted how much spam there was and how much valid mail was from
> non-subscribed addresses. Then it would be easier to decide whether it's
> worth the effort to hold all posts from non-subscribers, or if it's better
> to reject them, or to lower SA scores, or do nothing or something fifth.

What I suggest is "subscription without recieving". A user could subscribe to
a list and specify that they recieve no messages. That subscription would
still require a response to a verification mail. We should also have a web
control panel where users can see all their lists and twiddle their status.

If someone can't take the time to go through an address verification process
then we shouldn't waste time reading their message.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
ean at brainfood.com
214-720-0700 x 315