SPI's respect for debian resolutions, was: [GR] DD should be allowed to perform binary-only uploads

Bdale Garbee bdale at gag.com
Sat Feb 17 03:00:13 UTC 2007

mjr at phonecoop.coop (MJ Ray) writes:

> Given that SPI has a policy of not interfering in project decision-making,
> would the board please confirm at its forthcoming meeting that: SPI's
> current understanding is that the Debian Consitution defines who is
> authorised to act for the project and when; and SPI will recognise
> decisions taken according to the Debian Constitution?

In all cases that I can remember, SPI has insisted that there be a single
point of contact with an associated project.  So, it seems obvious to me that
SPI would always treat the DPL as that authoritative point of contact with
the Debian project.  The DPL could choose to delegate the role of SPI contact.

If the Debian project wants to exercise a constitutional right to remove
and replace the DPL, that's fine, but I don't see any need for SPI to have
some special case here since any GR that might intend for SPI to take some
action contrary to the DPL's wishes could just as easily be a GR replacing
the DPL?

Bdale