Inviting questions from SPI

Tim Post tim.post at gridnix.org
Fri Jul 13 06:45:32 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 14:36 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Tim Post wrote:

> O.k. based on your description below I think you present a very good
> "problem". The best I think we can do here is education and advocacy.
> The reality is, it is there code. They can do with it as they wish.

Its the 'angel' that becomes dynamic. The question is simple, intent. Do
you intend to make money, or do you intend to control the use of
technology? You can't do both. They need to work harder at getting it
'right' and 'correct' at the same time.

NDA = Patent on processing relational networks becomes possible. Do you
want to pay someone to study sociology?

> I can see apparent problems though. A small team comes up with an idea,
> announces the idea, and starts to code. The idea sparks the interest of
> some would be Angel (common term in investment). The Angel offers them
> *x* sum of money to finish the project, but the Angel gets all the rights.
>
> As a member of that team, I would be hard pressed to say no. I get the
> opportunity to get paid to work on my great idea.
>
> So again, it would come back to education and advocacy. The more
> proactive role SPI takes in this type of thing, the more influence SPI
> would have in helping developers take a longer term consideration of the
> pros and cons of doing something like this.

I am for anything that gets it discussed via dispassionate thought, this
is something to get 'corrected', not 'right'.

Thanks for your reply :) The question always results in confusion, so
its a good question.

I might also add, I'm an American living in the Philippines. I see
what's opening up here and its becoming alarming. Lots and lots of SAAS
dev shacks financed by US/UK 'angels'. But I think I already said,
things tend to evidence themselves prior to happening.

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Best,
--Tim