[Spi-private] Re: Inviting questions from SPI

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Fri Jul 13 21:32:26 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 12:04:38PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >>* Work to have all associative projects work together to provide a more
> >>influential presence to communities, governments and businesses.
> >So I guess my question is are you willing to make those sort of goals
> >independent of your election? They all sound pretty interesting and
> >sensible expansions of SPI's mission to me, to the point that I'd like
> I don't see it as an expansion. I see it as continuing the efforts of
> the purpose.

Sorry, I meant an expansion of what's actually being done (and what
people actually expect SPI to do at the moment), not what was planned
or predicted originally.

> Excellent question. There is a lot that needs to be done. Here is a
> small bullet list:
> * Money
> * Sponsors
> * Coordination with our projects to help sponsor (For example, a webinar
> on using PostgreSQL and Debian in the enterpise), SPI could give the
> webninar with the help of sponsorship from PostgreSQL + Debian.
> * Organization and a plan.
> The last one is key. Having a plan that "this team" (whoever that is) is
> going to approach the following vendors/sponsors to raise money for this
> (whatever this is) goal...

I think Debian's had some offers for tech to get webinar stuff done
with minimal effort already, so we might be able to do that already
without needing any money. The cooperation aspect (joing psql/debian,
eg) is something SPI could help with though, along with just advocating
that this is something worth doing.

Cheers,
aj