Possible trademark infringement: Book cover

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Mar 12 10:04:32 UTC 2008

Ben Finney <ben at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> The book "Conspiracy of Shadows: Companion" at Lulu
> <URL:http://www.lulu.com/content/144824> prominently displays an image
> on the cover that is undoubtedly the Debian swirl logo.
>
> The book appears totally unrelated to Debian, but the logo strongly
> indicates otherwise. It appears to me that this an infringement of
> Debian's trademark in the logo.

The half-closed spi-trademark list seems a better venue because it
actually has real lawyer(s) watching it.  Resending it there.  Replies
to there, please.  Outcomes should be reported in the public record in
due course.

The inside of the swirl looks different to me, so it doesn't appear to
be using the actual swirl artwork.  The red/black colours and detail
look very similar to me, though.  Are game rules a similar field to
operating systems as far as trademarks are concerned?

Regards,