are we being honest about legal resources?

Jimmy Kaplowitz jimmy at spi-inc.org
Sat Mar 15 03:39:09 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 01:07:33PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 08:34:15PM -0700, Bruce Perens wrote:
> > I think it would have worked out to be more fair to
> > everyone had Command Prompt Inc. established its own foundation for
> > Postgres.
>
> Based on
>
>     http://www.postgresql.us/mission/
>
> I guess this is now more or less happening?

It's not entirely clear to me. I did ask privately ask Josh Drake
whether this was being done by PostgreSQL or by individuals in the
PostgreSQL community, and whether this meant that PostgreSQL was pulling
out of SPI. He did answer, but the meaning of much of his answer was
unclear to a PostgreSQL outsider like me. (It might be quite clear to an
insider; this is not an accusation of evasiveness.) I will say that I
gave best wishes to him and the new association in accomplishing their
goals and helping PostgreSQL, whether or not they work in addition to
SPI or instead of it, and told him that I have no vested interest in
projects remaining associated with SPI against their will.

Josh, care to give a more clear answer publicly on this list to both of
those questions? Remember that many people on this list don't know the
difference between PostgreSQL.Org, the notion of a PostgreSQL.Org
project, Core, the PostgreSQL Fundraising Group, PostgreSQL as a whole,
PostgreSQL Global Development Group, and your positions in or
relationships with all of the above.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy at spi-inc.org