Code of Conduct at events

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Nov 11 13:37:41 UTC 2010

Bill Allombert writes ("Re: Code of Conduct at events"):
> What happened was the opposite: two developpers manhandled a third
> one.  The third one get expelled from Debconf. The two did not get
> real sanction beyond being sermoned. But of course the public memory
> of the event is different.

That's unfortunate, if true.  I wasn't there so I can't comment.

> This is the problem with your proposal: your proposal is more about
> defining a set of rules that events organizers have to follow than
> rules that participants have to follow.

It's not about "rules that organisers have to follow".  When an event
organiser writes "this is our policy about XYZ" in the README, that
means that they are /choosing/ to set out these rules and /promising/
to follow them.

> But how the organizers will be held accountable ? What information
> will be used to make the decisions ?

In the usual ways that project organisers are held accountable.
(Or, are not, in some contexts.)

Ian.