Code of Conduct at events [and 1 more messages]

Bill Allombert Bill.Allombert at math.u-bordeaux1.fr
Thu Nov 11 14:48:56 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 02:19:06PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Don Armstrong writes ("Re: Code of Conduct at events [and 1 more messages]"):
> > Additionally, I am uncertain that a code would have helped mitigate
> > this situation. I refuse to believe that the alleged behavior is
> > considered acceptable in any extant culture. [Even though I fear it
> > may be common.]
>
> In the situation which prompted me to raise this subject, a published
> policy would certainly have meant that the conference organisers
> wouldn't have washed their hands of the problem as they apparently
> did.

I disagree. If the conference organisers want to wash there hands of the problem,
a written policy will not prevent it. They will just frame the event in a way that
make the policy not apply. This happens so often. It is very hard to get an objective
view of the event after the fact so it is easy for them.

Cheers,
Bill.