Code of Conduct at events

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Nov 11 16:34:52 UTC 2010

Bernhard R. Link writes ("Re: Code of Conduct at events"):
> * Ian Jackson <ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk> [101111 14:35]:
> > Martin Wuertele writes ("Re: Code of Conduct at events"):
> > > Ian Jackson <ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk> [2010-11-10 12:32]:
> > What [Article 12] means is that you can sue for libel.
>
> Which is only one of the crimes you can be found guilty of if you
> denounce people publically (what the conditions are that you will be
> convicted will depend on the jurisdiction in question, though).

I don't know how things are in your jurisdiction, but even in Britain
which has notoriously harsh libel laws, merely denouncing an
unconvicted person is certainly not criminally punishable.

Even denouncing a person who has been acquitted can be perfectly
defensible; even in the UK, in a libel trial you will only be called
upon to demonstrate that what you said was true on the balance of
probabilities.

Ian.