Code of Conduct at events

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Nov 11 16:57:47 UTC 2010

Ian Jackson writes ("Re: Code of Conduct at events"):
> Even denouncing a person who has been acquitted can be perfectly
> defensible; even in the UK, in a libel trial you will only be called
> upon to demonstrate that what you said was true on the balance of
> probabilities.

Also I should point out that this entire subthread is a red herring.

I am certainly not suggesting that conference organisers should post a
public statement saying that Bob has been ejected from the conference
for a sexual assault on Alice.

I _am_ suggesting that if the conference organisers receive a
complaint that Bob seriously sexually assaulted Alice, they should
investigate.  If on investigation they are sufficiently convinced that
it's true, they should eject Bob.

And they should tell the organisers of the next conference so that the
next organisers can make an informed decision about whether Bob should
be admitted, and if he is, will be able to deal competently with any
further complaints made against Bob.

If someone was stealing laptops surely there would surely be no doubt
that the conference organisers would deal with it in this way.  So it
is crimes which are (a) usually committed by men against women and
(b) often normalised or unpunished by larger society and which
(c) generate a lot of vitriol and controversy when you suggest doing
something about them, which get the special blind-eye treatment.

Ian.