volunteer copyright assignment / licensing agreement

Jimmy Kaplowitz jimmy at spi-inc.org
Fri Feb 15 19:37:18 UTC 2013

Hi David,

You probably shouldn't list SPI as copyright holder when nobody's assigned
copyright to SPI. The mere fact of being an associated project of SPI doesn't
give SPI copyright, though it does make SPI more willing to consider voluntary
copyright assignment if specifically requested. In the case of WebKit, the
companies who show up in the copyright file usually hold copyright in
connection with their employees contributing as part of their jobs, or
sometimes based on employment legalese.

I agree with Bdale that copyright assignment to SPI is usually not the best
solution, but exceptions can exist. None happen implicitly, though.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy at spi-inc.org