Donations to SPI vs associated projects

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Sun Jul 12 19:24:55 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 08:52:20AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I think we should keep the policy and actually do what it says.

I agree that would be an improvement, but at least this part of the
policy is too vague to be useful for donors:

>> Donations to SPI that are not marked for a particular project will be
>> distributed to the projects that are currently affiliated with SPI as
>> needed, and/or used for SPI's own expenses.

- What are the criteria for deciding on the "and/or"?
- How would money be distributed among projects?
- What does it mean "as needed"?
Etc.

I think SPI should just let donors decide to which affiliate project
donate; serving those projects is the main reason of SPI's existence
after all. If SPI needs to increase its own funds, the way to go would
be to increase the cut the organization takes from incoming donations to
affiliate projects. If that is needed to keep up with the current
workload and/or increase the quality of services, I'm sure affiliates
will not object.

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack at upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o