Voting system for elections

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Jul 19 13:02:18 UTC 2016

Filipus Klutiero writes ("Re: Voting system for elections"):
> On 2016-07-18 09:29, Ian Jackson wrote:
>     This is especially true given that our variant of Condorcet is still
>     interpreting a ballot "1. Z  2. X" as not preferring Z or X to Y,
>     which is IMO an extremely serious deficiency in itself.
>

> I fail to see how the system could infer any preference about Y from
> a ranking which does not mention Y, and I certainly do not see how
> this would constitute an extremely serious deficiency.

Every other voting system anywhere on the planet treats a ballot
mentioning only X as preferring X to all other candidates.

Every other preferential voting system treats a ballot ranking X 1st,
and Y 2nd, as a preference for X or Y over all other candidates.

That is how voters expect these systems to work.

Our voting system treats a ballot mentioning only X as expressing no
preference whatsoever.

Ian.