Issue #5 - Please explain the topic of each mailing list

Joshua D. Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Sat Oct 8 19:42:44 UTC 2016

On 10/08/2016 09:38 AM, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> Hi Martin,

> Thank you
>>
>> spi-board is a list of the board of directors to communicate.  It's
>> also used as a contact address for the board.
>
> OK, but in terms of content, what discussions would be more appropriate
> to direct to spi-board than to, I guess, spi-general?

Anything that is confidential. For example, a potential legal issue.

>> Since the general public cannot subscribe to these lists, I don't
>> think it makes sense to list them at
>> http://www.spi-inc.org/contact/mailinglists/
>> It's just confusing.

Actually I think they should be listed with their defined purpose and
their subscription requirements. It is part of the transparency and it
shows that we are conducting proper business.

>>> spi-private is the only one I am member of. Board elections is one
>>> topic sometimes treated on that list, but a private list should not
>>> be designated as the proper forum for electoral discussions.
>> Personally, I feel that spi-private has been overused and most of the
>> conversation should have been on spi-general.  spi-private should only
>> be used for things that should not be public / publicly archived.
>
> I agree with you. From the approximately 100 mails sent to spi-private
> which I have read, I do not remember a single one which could not have
> been sent to spi-general (instead).

I prefer -private because generally speaking, I am talking to voting
members. The general public is great and there are times where that is
appropriate but we are not an open source project. We are a corporation
led by our members, with oversight by our board and run by our officers.

Sincerely,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.