Removal of MadWifi as an associated project

Alvaro Herrera alvherre at alvh.no-ip.org
Tue Aug 15 14:43:56 UTC 2017

Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> [2017-08-14 10:49]:
> > Should some of the funds be kept back for future domain renewal
> > fees, or are those covered from the ongoing SPI income?
>
> It's not very obvious but that's why I put the renewal of the domain
> before the transfer of the funds, i.e. we'd renew the domain and pay
> (if needed [*]) and then transfer the remaining funds.

Surely SPI needs to renew the domain on an ongoing basis -- basically
forever -- not just one time.  It seems like there ought the be clauses
somewhere specifying that SPI should continue to do this, or that
MadWifi has the authority to tell SPI to do so.  (How?  they'd not be an
associated project anymore.)  What if eventually MadWifi as a project
decides to get the domain back for whatever reason?  Is it possible for
SPI to decide to give it back?

I think holding onto the domain is a complicated business.

--
Álvaro Herrera