Recap on issue tracking situation (Re: Issue #0 - No general-purpose issue tracking system)

Filipus Klutiero chealer at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 17:16:12 UTC 2018

Hi,
This mail recaps what I learned and what changed regarding issue tracking since I reported this issue.

Thanks to Robert Brockway and Martin Michlmayr, I confirmed that SPI does have an issue tracking system. Thanks to Dr. Michlmayr, this system is now documented on http://spi-inc.org/corporate/rt/

This system has 2 major issues: it cannot be used to report any issue, and cannot be used to report an issue publically. Pending resolution of these, I created an unofficial general-purpose tracker available at http://philippecloutier.com/Software+in+the+Public+Interest+Issue+Tracking+System+-+Unofficial

Since I reported issue #0, one of my projects started using Redmine. I did not use it much and left that project several months ago, so I cannot recommend it with all my weight, but my memory indicates a good impression. Redmine is implemented in Ruby and a recent version is distributed in the stable and unstable suites of our associated project Debian (though not in testing, due to a serious bug reported 2017-11-14). I have [virtually] no experience with the Request Tracker engine currently used by SPI, so I cannot say that Redmine is superior to RT, but before deciding to use RT to power a general-purpose ITS, I suggest to make a decent comparison of both.