[draft 3] Guidelines for Equipment and Service Donations

Nils Lohner lohner at typhoon.icd.teradyne.com
Mon Mar 15 15:14:30 UTC 1999

In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.990313222150.18185d-100000 at se232.math.indiana.edu
ynn Winebarger writes:
>On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Nils Lohner wrote:

>> -Proposed Draft 3- Resolution 1999.03.03.nl
>> Guidelines for Equipment and Service Donations
>>
>> General Guidelines for Donations
>> --------------------------------
>>
>> - All equipment will be used to further the goals of SPI and its
>> affiliated projects, and will be used in accordance with all SPI rules
and
>> regulations.
>>
>>[etc]
>
>   Could there be a clause stating where descriptions of purposes may be
>found?  This might help provide a common reference for projects.  I'm
>particularly thinking that 2 people might want their donations to be used
>for the same purpose, but described differently, particularly when there's
>no existent effort to fulfill the purpose, or the purpose is an
>intermittent one.  Like if someone donated money toward the legal defense
>of free software developers on patent infringement suits.  Or services,
>from lawyers.

I'd rather not write that into the resolution as it's a technicality, not
a general rule. I argee that this would be valuable, and it's something
that we should probably put on our web site in the project pages.

>   Also, a site describing the current funding status of the different
>projects/purposes might be helpful in determining where one wants to
>dedicate their money (in some cases, you might decide not to donate for
>a very under-funded one as compared to a better-funded one that
>seems to be gathering some momentum.  or you might make the opposite
>decision).

  Yes, it would be.  This could also go on the project pages.

Thanks for the comments!

Nils.