Bylwas Revision: COMMITTEES

Christoph Lameter christoph at lameter.com
Tue Mar 30 23:09:16 UTC 1999

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Christoph Lameter wrote:
> > I would rather favor having individuals making those decisions.
>
> I would rather not have individuals making important decisions.

I never suggested such an idea.

> > Committees are useful if you want to slow down any possible dangerous
> > decisions or if power needs to be controller but Committees are not
> > useful for day to day operations.
>
> That depends on their size and internal organization. For example
> the ftpmaster team for Debian basically is a committee and they appear
> to do very useful day to day operations ..

Umm. They dont work as a committee. And even their disagreements spoil
over to debian-private. Anyways maybe we can frame it in the form of a
committee with a chairman able to do and delegate things. I talked with
Nils on irc about that. I just dont want the common committee nature which
I have seen. It will make swift action impossible. Such a committee for
daily operations is deadly for an organization.

> > I would like this to be as non-political as possible. So far we have
> > had a pretty informal structure and it worked mostly.
>
> We are going to need the politics at a certain point anyway; see what
> happened to Debian. Without the constitution which has the same amount
> of politics things would get (be?) messy.

This is a double edged sword. Too much regulation can cause a mess as
well.