Bylaws Revision: VOTING[4]

Darren O. Benham gecko at benham.net
Thu May 27 19:11:10 UTC 1999

On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 01:31:34PM -0400, Nils Lohner wrote:
> General
> -------
> - the quorum for a vote by the membership shall be set at 35% of eligible
> voters
> - all votes (unless otherwise stated) are approved by a majority (>50%)
To be clear... if the vote turns out something like 48% yes, 43% no and 9%
abstain, yes doesn't win..

> Board appointments
> ------------------
> [this will go into the 'board' section of the bylaws, but its important to
> keep an eye on in the voting section]
> - the board members will (together with the membership committee) recommend
> candidates for the board of directors
> - the members will approve the appointments on the board of directors
> - removal of board members shall occur by a 2/3 vote of the members or a 3/4
> vote of the board of directors
> [should this be higher for a BOD vote?]
Ray had an interesting point about the BOD removing people...  Each BOD
member is also a general member and could initiate a process that way...

On to my original thought/comment.  The Quorum should be set highter, i
think.... and I think the ballots should be secret for both election and
removal votes.  All others can be public (and maybe should be public,
spelled out here so it's not easy to change).