GNUstep project support problem

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Mon Nov 8 15:21:21 UTC 2004

Adam Fedor writes ("GNUstep project support problem"):
> Well, I talked to the FSF again just to make sure they were OK with
> this, and although they previously told me they would not handle small
> donations, RMS came back and said they would now do this, and that he
> preferred I work with the FSF (I imagine you know how stubborn he can
> be).

I see.  It's good that the FSF have decided to do this.  There's no
harm, and some merit, in having more than one legal organisation do
it.

> Anyway, I'd still like to move forward with the SPI proposal, as I
> think you have a good model, and we already have GNUstep members as
> active contributors with SPI.  I just thought you would want to know
> about this new wrinkle, and to let you know I would completely
> understand if you didn't want GNUstep working with both SPI and the FSF
> at the same time (FSF has, in addition, placed a number of additional
> stipulations on us, which at first glance don't seem that burdensome,
> but I don't think they have worked out how they will handle things like
> this yet).

Right.

I'm still happy to go forward.  I don't see any reason why we
shouldn't be willing to work with you to take donations regardless of
whether the FSF do so.  SPI-associated projects with wide
international participation frequently associate also with other
organisations besides SPI, and that doesn't seem to cause trouble.  I
don't see why this should be any different.

There is some risk of upsetting the FSF, I suppose.  How much of a
hurry are you in ?  If you are willing to wait another month it might
be worthwhile taking that time for us to talk to the FSF, at least so
that we can smooth over any ruffled features.

Thanks,
Ian.