Some questions about "becoming member of SPI"

Joshua D. Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Fri Nov 16 15:33:49 UTC 2007

Michael Renzmann wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> It took a while, but we (the MadWifi project) are getting closer to a
> decision about how to go to incorporate as non-profit organisation
> (references are [1], [2] and [3]). As things stand now we most probably
> would like to apply for SPI membership.
>
> However, there are some questions left:
>
> So far, the MadWifi project is not more than a loosely organised bunch of
> developers who work on the same piece of software.

You mean you are an open source project? ;)

> As far as I understood
> it's necessary to get some paperwork done to become SPI member. But who
> exactly is entitled (or required) to sign this paperwork? One of the
> developers? Some of them? Or even all?

Well not so much paperwork (in the traditional sense) but your community
does need to pick someone who is the Liaison to SPI. PostgreSQL did this
via an email vote.

Here is an unofficial HOWTO:

http://www.spi-inc.org/treasurer/associated-project-howto.html

Which I think answered most of your questions here.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake