SPI resolution 2016.05.05.bg.1: NTPsec as associated project

Martin Zobel-Helas zobel at spi-inc.org
Tue May 10 21:21:22 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Tue May 10, 2016 at 23:13:47 +0200, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu May 05, 2016 at 16:20:13 -0600, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> > Please add this resolution to our May agenda.
> >
> > NTPsec is a secure, hardened, and improved implementation of Network Time
> > Protocol derived from NTP Classic, Dave Mills’s original.
> >
> > The project has a website with community and project documentation at
> > http://ntpsec.org/
> >
> > The project's development forge is at https://gitlab.com/groups/NTPsec
> >
> > The NTPsec project wishes for SPI to accept donations and hold funds,
> > along with holding intangible assets, specifically the ntpsec.org domain
> > name.
> >
> > Bdale
> >

> > SPI resolution 2016.05.05.bg.1
> >
> > WHEREAS
> >
> > 1.  NTPsec is a substantial and significant Free Software project.
> > 2.  NTPsec developers would like SPI's support and assistance, including
> >     taking donations.
> >
> > THE SPI BOARD RESOLVES THAT
> >
> > 3. The NTPsec Project is formally invited to become an SPI Associated
> >    Project, according  to the SPI Framework for Associated Projects, SPI
> >    Resolution  1998-11-16.iwj.1-amended-2004-08-10.iwj.1, a copy of which can
> >    be found at
> >    http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/resolutions/2004/2004-08-10.iwj.1/
> > 4. Mark Atwood is recognised by SPI as the authoritative decision maker and
> >    SPI liaison for the NTPsec Project. Successors will be appointed  by the
> >    outgoing SPI liaison, or if the current SPI liaison is unavailable or
> >    refuses to appoint a successor, by a simple majority vote by the three top
> >    code contributors to the NTPsec of the previous year.
> > 5. This invitation will lapse, if not accepted, 60 days after it is
> >    approved by the SPI Board.
>
> I would like to see something like the following added to the resolution:
>
> 6. In the event that the NTPsec project dissolves without defining what
>    SPI shall do with the managed assets or the NTPsec project becomes
>    provable uncontactable for SPI, the board reserves the right to assign
>    those assets to it's general fund.
>
> That maybe needs a bit of rewording as i am not a native english
> speaker, but i hope everyone gets what i mean here.
>
> The smae paragraph should IMHO be added to all the other 4 resolutions
> we tend to vote on in two days.

For those who are wondering, why i want this added: During our face2face
meeting earlier this year we were advised by SFLC to add a paragraph
like this to every future resolution. Otherwise if a project goes MIA or
even dissolves without giving us any notice, we cannot take their money
or other assets and use them for something else.

Martin
--
 Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel at spi-inc.org>
 Software in the Public Interest, Inc. | Member of the Board of Directors